Monday, June 26, 2006

Title: Yes, the River Knows
Author: Tracy Dunham
Published: 2005, Berkley Prime Crime
Category: Mystery
Rating: 4/10

I'm not going to say much about this one, because it was pretty blah. Not bad, but not particularly good either. It's a legal mystery. Decent plot, decent characters.

The one thing I will say though, is that while the writing I thought was overall pretty good, every once in a while she'd come out with these metaphors that were just sooooo strange. Like this:
"Grasping my hand, he pulled me out of the ditch. I felt like a feather flying in his hot currents."
Uh, wha? It sounds like she's talking about sex, right? No! He's actually just helping pull her out of a ditch. Everyone is fully clothed. I guess she's talking about his emotional "currents." But, uh, come on.

One more example:
"I stopped pacing long enough to stare into Braidwood's eyes. He averted his like a rat terrier going down a hole after a possum."

Ok, am I the only one who thinks this is strange? Yeah, I'm a city girl now, but do normal people know what a rat terrier looks like going down a hole after a possum? Metaphors should help you create a better mental image of what's happening. Not pull you completely out of the story as you try to figure out what the hell the author is talking about!

1 comment:

Dora said...

I can't get over the name "Braidwood." That's the name of a manor or county, not a man.