Friday, June 16, 2006

Title: Miss Wonderful
Author: Loretta Chase
Published: 2004, Berkley
Category: Historical Romance
Rating: 5/10

I was really prepared to love this book. I'd already read Lord Perfect and Mr. Impossible and thought they were great. But I have to say, I was a little bored by this one. Maybe this is partly due to the fact that I was on vacation while reading it, so I was just too distracted to get into it?

The hero is Alistair Carsington, who was injured while doing heroic deeds in the Battle of Waterloo. He's a younger son, so his father says he must go out and find some way of supporting himself. So he latches onto a friend's scheme of building a canal in Derbyshire. He travels to the site of the future canal, and there he meets Mirabel Oldridge, who is the daughter of the biggest landowner through whose property the canal will run. Mirabel is very against having the canal built, as it will spoil her pretty landscaping. Alistair and Mirabel fall in love, but their opinions on the canal are in direct opposition. Mirabel hates it, but Alistair needs it to make his fortune and show the world that he can do something profitable.

The canal thing really got on my nerves after a bit. I was like, come on people, it's just a little canal. Build it or not, it's not the end of the world. You can have true love if you just get over this one little thing.

I did really like the two characters' opinions on clothes, because it was the opposite of the norm. Although Mirabel is beautiful, she dresses really frumpy and this drives Alistair, who is a dandy, nuts. It was very funny. I can relate to Mirabel, because I am a bit fashion-challenged myself. It's not that bad, but I do stick to the basics on clothes. If I could wear jeans and a T-shirt every day, I would. I'm always amazed by women who have all these complicated outfits, with all the coordinating jewelry and bag and whatever else. If my top and bottom and shoes match, then I think job well done. Maybe I need an Alistair to do my shopping and then pick out my clothes every morning.

3 comments:

~ames~ said...

I have this in my TBR pile. And I'm reading Lord Perfect right now. Maybe I'll let Miss Wonderful waite a while longer. :)

Samantha said...

I wasn't that thrilled with this installment either. The whole clothing thing the two main characters had going on was the best part. I haven't read Lord Perfect yet and I wasn't really planning on it. But you thought that one was good?

Jennie said...

Ames--yeah, I'd say unless you're a big Chase fan, you can let this one go unread. :)

Samantha--I did like Lord Perfect--it was funnier than this one and had a bit more action. Though I think Mr. Impossible was better than either.