Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Title: Black Arrow
Author: I. J. Parker
Published: 2006, Penguin
Category: Mystery
Rating: 7/10

This is my latest freelance proofreading assignment. Some of the jobs I get are pretty boring, and it can a little painful to slog through them. But sometimes I'll get a book like this one--something I never would have picked out myself to read, but a book that I end up really enjoying.

Black Arrow is a mystery set in 11th century Japan. The hero, Sugawara Akitada, is sent to be the provincial governor in a northern area of Japan. He arrives to chaos--he's got corrupt judges, poorly trained military, and a populace that distrusts him from the get-go. And he must deal with a local warlord who has been usurping the imperial authority that Akitada must now try to reestablish. An innkeeper is murdered and Akitada must prove that the three suspects who have been arrested were framed.

The plot is so full of twists and turns that I couldn't possibly explain it all. But it's one of those good mysteries where everything ties up so cleverly at the end. And when you see the resolution you can think back to all those hints and clues that were dropped and everything just falls into place.

And it's really beautifully written. I love this passage:
"I have met your lady and saw that she is with child. When you become downcast again over what cannot be changed, remember: To have her is like having the sun and moon in your sleeve and holding the universe in your hand."
The only problem I had with this book is that there are almost no female characters. The only two are Akitada's wife, who we see only briefly, and an evil scheming seductress who we hate. I thought this was a very "boy" book and was shocked to find that the author is a woman! I'm always amazed by authors who can write believable primary characters of the opposite gender. Anyway, I think this would make a good gift for your favorite male reader.

Black Arrow isn't out until November, but if this sounds interesting to you, there are three previous Sugawara Akitada novels in print: The Hell Screen, Rashomon Gate, and The Dragon Scroll.

5 comments:

Marg said...

This sounds good. I keep on adding mysteries written about Japan to my list even though I haven't actually read the 10 or so I already own!

Anonymous said...

This is in reference to one of your old posts about reading Strong Poison. You must see the TV series with Edward Petherbridge and Harriet Walter as Lord Peter and Harriet Vane. They also starred in versions of Have His Carcase and Gaudy Night. There was a much earlier series starring a different actor, who was good, but nothing like Petherbridge, who is perfect in every way. You might be able to find the DVD at Evergreen Video or some other place that has an excellent collection.

Jennie said...

Marg--
I know how you feel. Too many books, not enough time!


Bklvr2--
I saw the Edward Petherbridge version of Gaudy Night and was actually a little disappointed by it. He was good but I didn't like Harriet Walter at all. Probably because I know her so well as the obnoxious Fanny in Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility. I couldn't warm to her as Harriet Vane! But thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

From the author:

Thank you. That was delightful! I appreciate especially your comment that I do men well. :)

And the proofreading job is much appreciated.

Jennie said...

Ms. Parker,
I'm so glad you found your way here! Black Arrow really was a pleasure to work on.