Tuesday, June 13, 2006


Title: Lady of Quality
Author: Georgette Heyer
Published: 1972, Dutton
Category: Historical Romance
Rating: 3

If you've never read Georgette Heyer, don't start with this one. Harlequin has been re-releasing a lot of Heyers with new forewords by romance authors. They haven't done this one, for good reason. It was bo-ring.

Miss Annis Wychwood is beautiful and rich. However, she's never met a man she wanted to give up her independence for, so at 30, she is an old maid. She meets a young girl who is running away from home, feels sorry for her and takes her in. The girl's guardian, Oliver Carleton, arrives in Bath. He is rude and straight-forward, and he and Annis argue with one another constantly. But arguing in a flirting kind of way.

I've really loved some other Heyers, but this one was just too slow-moving. Annis was a good character--older and wiser than a lot of Heyer's girl-heroines--but she didn't make up for the boring plot.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

I've been wanting to try a book by Heyer. I've been thinking about "The Quiet Gentleman" have you read that one?

Jennie said...

Yes, and I actually reviewed it here.

(I hope that link works, I'm still a little html-stupid.)

Anyway, it's not my favorite, but I did like it. Good hero--the strong silent type. :)

julieree said...

are you speaking ill of Georgette? heaven forbid!

but i guess if someone writes 50+ books, there's bound to be a dud in there somewhere.