Wednesday, June 21, 2006









Series: Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire
Author: Charlaine Harris
Published: 2002-2004, Ace
Category: Fantasy
Rating: 6

I've been on a Sookie Stackhouse binge. I read the first one in this series a few weeks ago and liked it so much that I ordered the whole set. I've inhaled three of them in the last week. They're really fun books. A telepathic barmaid who befriends all kinds of supernatural beings--what's not to love?

Drive-by synopses: (If you haven't read the series, beware of some spoilers.)

Living Dead in Dallas (#2)- Sookie is sent to Dallas to use her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire. She encounters a rabid anti-vampire cult. We meet more shapeshifters.

Club Dead (#3)- Bill is kidnapped by Lorena, the evil vampire who sired him. Sookie goes to Jackson to try to find him. There she meets Alcide, a Werewolf. Together they investigate Club Dead, an all-supernatural bar run by the King of Vampires. (hee hee)

Dead to the World (#4)- Eric loses his memory and a group of evil vampire blood-drinking Were-witches try to take over Shreveport. Jason is kidnapped and Sookie has to rescue him. Fairies are introduced briefly.

Random thoughts on the series so far:
  • It seems like each book is getting just a little more violent.
  • Eric is a much more interesting character than Bill. Much more vampire-like. Bill's kind of blah. Plus we couldn't really forgive him for what he does to Sookie in Club Dead.
  • Why doesn't Sookie notice Sam more?? He's great. I think she should stop wasting time on these loser vampires and go for Sam. He would never betray her.
  • I think the thing that makes this series work and stay fresh after so many installments is the fact that the original premise is so good. A telepathic woman who can't really connect on any intimate level with regular humans and therefore has to look for love and companionship among supernatural beings. It's different and original.

I've got two more to read, though I might take a little break. I am anxious to see what happens next.

8 comments:

Marg said...

I read the first one of these a couple of weeks ago. I am waiting (im)patiently for the next book in the series to come in at the library!

~ames~ said...

YAY! I really enjoy this series and constantly go back to skim my fave parts. I love Eric. And Bill, you're gonna hate him even more after the latest installment. I love Sam too. I'm just so glad she's not like Anita Blake. Have you read that series?

Jennie said...

Ames--
I read the first couple chapters of the first Anita Blake and it was just too dark for me. I like the way Sookie is appropriately disgusted by all the violence she encounters. :)

~ames~ said...

Yeah, Anita caused all the bloodshed and violence. She's dead inside. Or tries to be. God I hate that bitch. LOL

Mailyn said...

I've heard a lot of this series but somehow funny vampires sounds like an oxymoron, espceially a vampire named Bill. lol

:)

Jennie said...

Mailyn--
I love that she named a vampire Bill! It's so funny.

The vampires aren't really good, they're just not particularly evil. Pretty much the way they were in life, only more selfish and little more violent. And drinking blood, of course. :)

dancechica said...

I absolutely love this series! Eric is definitely more interesting than Bill but Sam...I just don't really care for him for some reason. Maybe it's because I've always been more of a vamp girl? Plus, he's just too nice sometimes. I don't know. lol. I prefer Eric's cunning.

Ames - LOL you are too funny when you talk about Anita Blake! But I hear ya though. lol.

Jess (fushmush) said...

I love this series too! Definitely don't think she should be with Bill. I wanted her to hook up with Alcide... mmmm he sounded delish :D