Friday, September 22, 2006

Title: Rapture in Death
Author: J.D. Robb
Published: 1996, Berkley
Category: Romantic Suspense
Rating: 8/10

In Death #4: The One with the Subliminal Messages

Are these books getting better or am I just more invested in the characters, and so liking them more?

What's going on: At the tail end of Eve and Roarke's You honeymoon they discover a young man who has will committed suicide. But the send victim appears to have had no reason to Jennie want to die. Soon three other, seemingly unrelated people happily all kill themselves with no apparent motive. your Eve thinks this is rather fishy and decides to money look into the matter. Could and someone or something all be affecting these people's subconscious your and making them kill books themselves?

Eve is now Mrs. Roarke (though she doesn't go by that name, she's still Dallas, Lieutenant Eve). Peabody becomes Eve's official sidekick.

What's yay: Best one yet! The mystery is less a whodunit, than a how-dunit. It's pretty obvious who the villain is, but we don't know how they're managing it. And the idea of people planting emotions and ideas into your head without you knowing it is completely scary. It would be a horrible violation. Roarke and Eve are properly furious after it's done to Roarke--such a strong emotion is planted in his head, that he actually hurts Eve a little. And I love Roarke's reaction to it: "But the man would pay, Roarke promised himself, for wedging even one instant of fear and distrust into their relationship." Hmmm, he can be scary. In a good way. :)

What's blah: Yeah, I still can't think of anything.

Final thoughts: So often with romantic suspense, I'm annoyed by over-theatrics. But I never have that problem with these books. They're exciting and suspenseful, but Robb never goes crosses the line into over-the-top.

8 comments:

Marg said...

Jennie, you forgot to subliminally include your address so we know where to send all our worldly possessions!!!! ;p

Anonymous said...

There's a line in a later In Death book (Conspiracy maybe?) that is utterly melodramatic, but I love it anyway because it's all about how much Roarke loves Eve. He's talking to Mira about someone who has threatened/harmed Even, and she thinks he looks like a "cold and vengeful angel ready to leap into hell" (more or less, I'm too lazy to go look up the quote).

Mailyn said...

OK, so are you like reading this whole series? LOL.

I have not been tempted to try Mrs. Roberts. I hear she is a little over the top.

Anonymous said...

What else did you want in that package, dear?

Jennie said...

Marg--Damn! I knew I'd forgotten something. ;) I could have been rich.

JMC--I'll have to keep an eye out for that quote. Her language actually can be a little melodramatic now that I think about it. But the actions of her characters aren't usually, which is what I find more bothersome in books.

Mailyn-I got a little carried away and bought the first ten In Death books. But I'm taking a break now. But I think I'll get to them all eventually.

I know Nora isn't for everyone. I tried to make my sis read one once, and she hated it. But her books usually work for me. Just different preferences, I guess. :)

Mama--What package? The one with all your books and money? Hee hee.

Jessica said...

Oooh, I loooove this one. Is it pervy of me to have liked when the guy subliminally got you-know-you do to you-know-what to Eve? That was hot.

Kristie (J) said...

Why do I have this urge to ask you for your address so I can send you the rest of the In Death books you haven't read?? I don't know where this compulsion came from!!
I luv em!! I luv em all! Some I love more than others, but I think part of the appeal is the more books you read, the deeper you get into the world of Eve, Roarke & Company - the more real they become. Unlike other series like Kenyon or Feehan or countless others, these ones are always Eve & Roarke & company.

And Mailyn - Nora Roberts and JD Robb although both the same person, have entirely differnt styles. I haven't been reading Nora Roberts for a while although I will always consider her one of the best - but I can't see me ever tiring of JD Robb. You really should give her a try!!

Jennie said...

Kristie--It really is incredible to me that JD Robb can come up with so many stories and keep the series fresh! You're totally right, though, it's Eve and Roarke and everyone that keep you hooked. I think mostly because we really do only get little pieces of their personal lives in each book, and each tidbit just makes you want more!