Saturday, August 26, 2006

I'm stingy, what can I say?

I've never yet given a book higher than an 8/10. I'm not mean. I'm not particularly choosy. I just like to keep the possibility open that I might read something I like even better.

But I don't want other readers to be put off by a book getting a 7. Because a 7 is really good. So here's a chart:

10--Perfection. Will be tempted to buy up every copy of this book I ever see. In case of disaster. Like . . . robbery by well-read theif (or my mother). Everyone should read it because it left me amazed and astonished by how wonderful it was.

9--Loved it!! All of it. Made me want to dance around and sing at the top of my lungs. Made me want to crawl inside the book and never leave.

7-8--Highly recommended. Lovely book, didn't want it to end. Will read much more by this author.

6--Recommended, especially if you like this kind of book or are a fan of the author.

5--Meh. I had little or no reaction to this book.

3-4--Serious flaws in my opinion. Not recommended.

1-2--I don't think I'll ever actually give a book this rating because I don't think I'd ever finish a book I hated this much. And I'd never review a book I didn't finish.

So there you go. An easy chart for your reading enjoyment.

6 comments:

Patricia Pomeroy Tanner said...

Hi,

I am an author. You may not like what I write but if you are interested you might check out my blog. ptannerauthor.blogspot.com.

Patricia

Marg said...

It's rare for me to give a book 5/5. My highest is usually 4.5 out of 5. I also don't give too low marks very often either.

~ames~ said...

Hi Jennie. :P


I've always wanted to do something like this but I'm too lazy. LOL So I just give letter grades. But I think without the grade one can tell from my review whether I like the book or not. Right?

Thanks for the heads up, because with a 7, I always wondered if it was worth it. Good to know the system now.

CindyS said...

You have to archive this rule of grading list thingie. Yeah, cause I said so. I'll need to reference it every once in a while when I see a 6 because I'll be lost.

I have finished a few books that I hated because I was so sure that at any minute it was going to turn around. Whoops.

CindyS

Anonymous said...

"I am not a theif."
-- Marmee

Jennie said...

Marg--It's hard to give top grades, because how often do you love something completely without reservation?!

Ames--Thanks for the heads up, because with a 7, I always wondered if it was worth it. See, that's what I was afraid of. I probably should have stuck to letters too, but I had this idea that I might feel better giving something a 5 than a C. And yes, I can always tell if you liked something from your reviews. ;)

Cindy--I think I'll put it on my sidebar. :) Just for you. And you gotta give up on those books that you hate halfway through. I know it's hard. Or just skip to the end and read the last chapter! That's what I do.

Mama--Hee hee. I know. I just like to tease you. With enough nagging I can usually get my books back. ;)