Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Not at all about books.

EDITED TO ADD THE ANSWERS. :)

I've had zero time for reading and reviewing, so here are MOVIE QUOTES! Some of my favorites:

1. "When people say they are happy my ass begins to twitch."
Luc (Kevin Kline) in French Kiss

2. "Would I weep like a bathtub overflowing? Carry on as if my home were in a tree? Would I run off and never tell me where I'm going?! Why can't a woman--be like me?!"
Henry Higgins (Rex Harrison) in My Fair Lady

3. "Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"
Colonel Mustard (Martin Mull, I think) and Wordsworth (Tim Curry) in Clue

4. "I shall name him Squishy and he shall be mine. He shall be my squishy."
Dory (Ellen DeGeneres) in Finding Nemo

5. [In jail] "Anyway, David, when they find out who we are, they'll let us out."
"When they find out who you are, they'll pad the cell."
Susan Vance (Katherine Hepburn) and David Huxley (Cary Grant) in Bringing Up Baby

6. "This is my family. It's little and broken. But, still good. Yeah, still good."
Stitch in Lilo and Stitch

7. "Retrench?!"
Elizabeth Elliot in Persuasion (JMC, I knew you'd get this one as a fellow Persuasion freak.)

8. "It's none of my nevermind. I'm not saying a word, not one single word."
Verbena in The Parent Trap (The old Haley Mills version, of course.)

9. "Because I can't bring this ship into Tortooga all by me onesy, savvy?"
Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) Pirates of the Caribbean #1
"Captain Jack Sparrow, if you please." "I don't see your ship, Captain." "I'm in the market, as it were."

10. "I want the chipper chicken."
The dad (Steve Martin) in Father of the Bride (telling Hank that he wants the "chipper" chicken rather than the "chic" seafood)

11. "Doggone it, C.K. Dexter Haven, either I'm gonna sock you or you're gonna sock me."
"Shall we toss a coin?"
Macaulay Connor (Jimmy Stewart) and C.K. Dexter Haven (Cary Grant) in The Philadelphia Story

Can anyone name the movies any are from?
Twin--you can't play, because I know you know them all.

11 comments:

CindyS said...

Not a one! And they sound like they would be a ton of fun. Can't wait to see which ones they are!

CindyS

Anonymous said...

CindyS, that makes me feel better about how few I know.
2. is a lyric, so that's easy - it's from My Fair Lady.
9. must be from one of the Pirates otC movies - but I wouldn't know which.
And 11.. CK Dexter Haven is either from The Philadelphia story or from High Society, but it'd be a guess which. Easier to imagine it being said by Katherine Hepburn than Grace Kelly.

julieree said...

oo oo oo! I want to play! :(
Mean jennie not to let me play. You got some good ones though. But you forgot "I'm cute and fluffyyyyy!!" (hint for no. 6)

:)

Anonymous said...

finding nemo. that's all i know.

p. sherman, 42 wallaby way, sydney.

(evil) twin won't tell me the answers. it's making me upset.

~ames~ said...

Ok, on the topic of movie quotes, here's one of my faves:

Killing him was a good thing, like planting a tree.

LOL

Mailyn said...

all I know are the Finding Nemo, Pirates of The Caribbean, The Philadelphia Story, I think. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Let's see, I know #9 (Pirates, the first one) and #7 (Persuasion). Otherwise, nope. But my movie watching is deficient, I'm told. Haven't seen lots of "classics."

Kristie (J) said...

Like others the only one I know is #9. I'll be curious to see where the other ones come from.

Devon said...

1. French Kiss (?)
2. My Fair Lady (I've loved this movie forever)
3. sounds so darn familiar, but it's just out of my reach
4. Finding Nemo
9. Pirates of the caribbean
10.Father of the Bride

Hmm...my brain's fried. I've spent hours catching up on the insanity.

Anonymous said...

#6. Lilo and Stitch. Coconut Cake and Coffee - pleeeeease...

Jennie said...

Good job, everyone! I think some of my favorites are a little obscure. ;)

I'm gonna change the post to add the answers.

But Pip, I never said anything about any prizes. But maybe you can bug Twin... :)

Ames - That quote is hilarious! It seems familiar but I can't place it.