Saturday, March 18, 2006

Title: You Slay Me
Author: Katie MacAlister
Published: 2004, Onyx
Category: Paranormal Romance
Rating: 6/10




This one isn't just a donut, it's more like cotton candy. Sugary and delicious, it sits on your tongue for an instant and then is completely gone.

You Slay Me is the first in Katie MacAlister's paranormal series about Aisling Grey, Guardian--a mortal with magical powers who guards an entrance to hell. (Yes, very much like Buffy.) There are no vampires here, but there are dragons who luckily only appear in their human form. One dragon is the hot and sexy Drake Vireo, though he always seems to be wearing silk shirts, ew.

I'm not going to write about the plot, because I'm having trouble remembering it already. Some books are like that, you finish and think that was nice and the next day you can't really remember what it was all about.

Though the story and characters aren't the most original and the magical elements are conveniently vague, the book is saved by the fact that MacAlister is really funny. Aisling is sassy and impetuous, blundering into problems right and left, but somehow always managing to extricate herself--rather than being annoyingly rescued. And there are suprisingly few cliches (except for that scene with the sexy tango dance, that really didn't seem to fit.)

There are at least eight books planned for this series. One is out already, Fire Me Up, and Light My Fire is due out in November.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

You know, I love her books, but I have to agree with you. They are so light and fun, that they can become forgettable. I actually had to go back to my bookshelf to check and see if I had read one of her books already. On the plus side, I can simply reread her books and not spend money on something new...I guess.

Oh, I hope you don't mind but I just put a link to your site on my new book blog. I know, I know, there are already hundreds of sites out there...but this one is mine! ;) Feel free to stop by and check it out. Right now all I have is an intro page. Reviews and such will be coming soon.