Sunday, March 05, 2006


Title: The Quiet Gentleman
Author: Georgette Heyer
Published: 1951, Harlequin
Category: Historical Romance
Rating: 6/10

I discovered Georgette Heyer a few months ago and have since read many of them (my favorites are The Nonesuch, The Grand Sophy, and The Foundling). Heyer is credited with creating the Regency Romance genre, a genre that I love even if sometimes the books are horribly written. Since I can't command that Jane Austen rise from the grave and write more books, I'll take what I can get.

The Quiet Gentleman is Gervase Frant, the new Earl of Stanyon, who returns home from the Napoleonic wars to claim his title. At Stanyon he finds that his entire step-family (Gervase's mother was the old Earl's short-lived first wife) is unpleasantly surprised that he survived the war. Terrible accidents start happening to endanger Gervase's life and everyone begins to wonder who's trying to knock off the new Earl. The heroine is my favorite kind of Heyer's--not a Beauty, but practical and capable (like me, sniff, sniff). And her name is Drusilla, which is unfortunate, but pretty funny.

I thought the plot on this one was a little slow. I didn't breeze through it quite as fast as I usually do a Heyer. And I feel like I got a bit short-changed on the love story. I liked the two main characters, but they didn't really interact all that much until the very end.

So, not my favorite Heyer, but still a good read.

No comments: