Monday, January 29, 2007

Another book meme! Yay.

Life is still hectic, but I miss my bloggy. So I'll do something easy. Like a meme!

Contemporary, Historical, or Paranormal?
Historicals are my first love. Books are just more interesting set in the past. But I like a good contemporary to mix things up. I really just don't get the whole paranormal craze.

Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?

If it's a book I adore, I want a hardcover. Otherwise mass markets are easiest to carry and my young eyes still have no problems. And they're cheaper. I like cheaper.

Heyer or Austen?
Okay, I love Heyer, but come on. Austen, obviously.

Amazon or Brick and Mortar?
Brick and mortar=instant gratification. Yes.

Barnes & Noble or Borders? Whatever is closest.

Woodiwiss or Lindsay? Shame on me, but I've never read either. (And I call myself a romance reader.) I bought The Flame and the Flower a while ago, but haven't gotten to it yet.

First romance novel you ever remember reading?
A Julie Garwood highlander historical. I've just spent 10 minutes on Amazon trying to figure out which one, but the memory is too fuzzy. Maybe Ransom.

Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or random?
Alphabetizing my books by author makes me shiver with delight. (No really, I'm serious.)

Keep, Throw Away or Sell? Everyone seems a bit disturbed by this question and I agree. Who throws away books?? I keep everything I didn't dislike and the rest I either swap on PBS or give to the library.

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
Remove. Unless the caseside is white or cream because then it gets fingerprinty and that's gross.

Sookie Stackhouse or Anita Blake?
I've read and enjoyed Sookie. Anita's too bad-girl for me.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
I generally stop reading when the guilt about how groggy I'll be at work the next day overpowers my desire to keep reading.

It was a dark and stormy night or Once upon a time? I like fairy tales. Cuz life is dark enough, yeah?

Crusie or SEP? Love them both. But Crusie is better.

Buy or Borrow? I'd buy everything I read if I had enough money. As I don't, I buy some and get a lot from the library.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse?
Browsing is nearly pointless for me. Cover copy is often too misleading. Most everything I buy is on recommendation from friends (real-life and internet).

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger? Must have closure!

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading?
What is this question? I don't understand. I read whenever I have time.

Series or standalone?
I like a good series. I like them even more when they're all already pub'd and I don't have to wait for them. And I like a good standalone.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?

Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens
by Anne Merton Abbey. Kathryn is lady-in-waiting to all the wives of Henry VIII. Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. I learn history from my romances. Maybe boiled-down, simplistic history, but still. Can you name all 6 wives?

8 comments:

Marg said...

I know several people who love that book but it is so hard to track down!

And yes, yes I can name all six wives!

Jessica said...

No paranormal? What about Kelly Armstrong?! I thought I discovered her through your blog... :ponder:

Jennie said...

Marg--If you didn't live so darn far away, I'd loan you my copy. :) You should definitely keep an eye out for it, it's worth it.

Jessica--Kelley Armstrong is an exception to the rule! I should have said I don't usually like paranormals. Because Armstrong is fantastic. ;p

nath said...

Hey Jennie! Glad you updated! Must be busy because of the job right? Ah well, hopefully, you'll be able to update more... By the way, do you have a review of Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens?

Jennie said...

Hi Nath! Yes, the job is crazy right now and will be for about two more weeks, and then things should get back to normal. Thank God!

I haven't written a review for Kathryn, but I actually found a reader blogger yesterday who recently did a very good review of it here.

Kristie (J) said...

Let's see - I used to know them all by heart!!

Katherine of Aragon - divorced
Anne Bolyne - beheaded
Catherine Parr - died
sidififi - beheaded
Anne of Cleaves - divorced
Another Anne - survived

Dang! I wish I could fill in those missing blanks. And I probably got some of the other ones wrong too. But aha!! I do remember that Katherine of Aragon was the mother of Mary and that she was actually engaged to Henry's older brother Arthur - and that she was much older than Henry

Kristie (J) said...

Double Dang!! I just had to know. I was off on a number of them. But aha! I do remember reading a book - don't know if it was true or not - about how the painter Hans Holbein fell in love with Anne of Cleaves when he was doing her portrait and as such made her look much better and thus more appealing to that dog Henry.
And Elizabeth was the daughter of Anne Boleyn. And (the name I didn't get) was the only wife who bore Henry a son.

Jennie said...

LOL, Kristie! It's Jane Seymour that you forgot--she was the third wife who bore Edward, Henry's only son. Catherine Howard was #5 (beheaded) and Catherine Parr outlived him. You know what makes it so hard is that they all have the same names! Anne, Catherine, Jane, Mary and Elizabeth were apparently the only names used back then. :p