Saturday, March 17, 2007

Lookie what Twin made me!!

I am generally very proud to show off my book covers in public. But sometimes . . . ugh, they're just so bad. I was reading Nalini Singh's Visions of Heat this week and I'm sorry but that man on the cover gives me the heejie beejies. Is he supposed to be attractive? The spotty skin and the black filled-in eyes. (And the hero's not even supposed to have dark eyes, the heroine is.) I felt a little sheepish pulling it out on the subway, even though it's a very good book. So I bugged my resident crafter extraordinaire Twin into making me a book cover that wasn't ugly (as so many of them are).

Isn't it great?! I told her to embroider "very important literature" on the front. ;) It is important. She says this is a prototype--she might tweak the design a bit and then make some to sell on her etsy shop. The outside is a really soft blue linen and the inside is this cheerful pink-and-white cotton.

It feels very cozy in my hands. Thanks Julie!!!!!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome book cover! I'd buy one if your Twin made more and sold them. And I'm not a person who has ever used a book cover before!

~jmc

Nicole said...

I'd so buy one too! I love reading your twin's blog, also. So crafty.

~ames~ said...

Very nice! I want one. LOL

Noneya said...

yeah..that cover doesn't do a thing for me either. every blog I visit has that book featured now, it seems...I just can't do it. buy the book that is...he creeps me out and looking over from my bed to the night stand to see that...
*shudder*
eeck.
:

Nice book cover!
Very attractive!

Sandie

nath said...

I like the book cover!! I too want one! You know, you're lucky to have such a crafty sister.

CindyS said...

Me too!! Let me know when she creates another one - I love the Title ;)

CindyS

Tara Marie said...

She could definitely sell these. My local UBS sells all sorts of book covers and this would fit in beautifully.

reviewer said...

Oh that is neat!!! I want one.
It would have to be big enough to cover the Ellora cave covers though.

Is that you in the picture? You have beautiful hands!

Anonymous said...

Can she make one for my Sony Reader? I love it.

Kristie (J) said...

Very nice. And like everyone else has said, I'd love to get one too! Let us know if she does make and sell some! I have a book cover but it's way to big for a paperback and way to small for a hardcover so it sits unused, unappreciated.

Jennie said...

Thanks everyone! I'll pass along the interest to Julie and see if she wants to make some more. The problem is that mine is hand-embroidered, which, while beautiful, is much too time-consuming to mass produce. She's looking into printing on fabric with her little press. We shall see.

Yes, those are my hands. I also have pretty feet. But if I could have chosen the body parts to be blessed with beauty, well . . . those wouldn't have been them. LOLOL.

Chantal--Ellora's Cave books are trade paperback size, aren't they? She could probably make some that size too.

Samantha said...

I'm with everyone else. That cover is awesome! I'd be willing to buy one too if she makes them.

And the cover to Visions of Heat creeps me out too. the spots don't bother me too much its the expression on the dudes face that gives me the willies.

reviewer said...

Yep, EC are trade size. Although, I find that no two trade publishers are the same size. Just off the top of my head I know that My EC and HQN's tend to be shorter than the Brava ones.

Jennie said...

Samantha--That guy on the cover of ViH is possessed, and not with love for the heroine. Maybe by aliens. LOL.

Chantal--Hmm. Well, the cover is a little roomy anyway (so you don't have to destroy the book to get it in there) so it would probably work. :)

Lady Rooster said...

Very nice cover! I have 2 that I use when I have a book with a cover that makes me cringe.
~debbie~
http://browney44.blogspot.com/

Devon said...

Count me in as one who'd buy one!!!