Saturday, April 22, 2006

Title: Prairie Wife
Author: Cheryl St. John
Published: 2005, Harlequin
Category: Historical Romance
Rating: 4/10

I've been working on a really long freelance proofreading project, and after staring at every word of a manuscript saying are you the right word? are you spelled correctly? are you followed by the appropriate punctuation? I needed something easy to read for fun. Prairie Wife is another recommendation from Super Librarian.

I think this might be the first romance I've ever read that's numbered. Yes, it's Harlequin #739. I don't really know how this works, are all Harlequins numbered? And why? Anyhow, I am not a book snob. I like to think of myself as the anti--book snob. I think people who look down their noses at any genre are narrow-minded. But if this is an example of a good Harlequin, I don't think I'll be reading too many. It was just too formulaic and predictable. The characters were generally likable, but not really very interesting. I did like the western setting, though.

1 comment:

Kristie (J) said...

Yep - they are all numbered. I'm not quite sure what the reason is for that - maybe because Harlequin publishes so many. Another thing I noticed about them is they don't list the month the book was published like so many other publishers do.
And Prairie Wife wasn't my favourite by her. A really good one though - if you decide to ever give them another try is Joe's Wife by the same author. Now that is a very tender, very good one.