Sunday, September 16, 2007

Bride of the MacHugh, Jan Cox Speas

Title: Bride of the MacHugh
Author: Jan Cox Speas
Published: 1954, Avon
Category: Historical Fiction
Rating: 8/10

Getting book recommendations from people can be really hit-or-miss -- a person's taste in books is so personal, that if you don't know the person very well, you can find yourself buying a book that may light their fire but does absolutely nothing for you. One of the places that I have found some of the best (and consistently good) recommendations is by finding out what books are some of my favorite authors' favorites. I love to find authors answering the question, "Who are your favorite authors?" Bride of the MacHugh is a favorite of author Susanna Kearsley, whose books I discovered recently and have really enjoyed.

I loved this book and I wanted to do a really good review of it, but then life intruded and now it's been about a month since I read it. *sigh* So I'm going to do a synopsis, but it's going to be a bit vague because some of the details have already floated away from me. But I refuse to post the cover blurb that's on the back of my edition because it is melodramatic idiocy. "Her love was rebellion against family and rank, and his was a sword made reckless by desire!" (In gold foil, too! Wow.) It gives you a completely wrong impression of the book. Anyway...

Elspeth Lamond is Scottish by birth but has been raised in London as a ward of King James. As her mother lies dying, she makes Elspeth promise to go to Scotland and meet her father, Robert Lamond. She travels there under the protection of her kinsman the Earl of Argyll, a powerful Scot who has strong ties to the king. But she is soon kidnapped by Alexander MacHugh, The MacHugh (chief of the MacHugh clan). Some complicated political scheming goes on (here's where I'm forgetting), but basically, Argyl has arranged a marriage for Elspeth with a rich Englishman, a marriage that will bring him the connections and gold he needs to amass even greater power in Scotland. Elspeth has no real power to object, but she has found in Alexander a man whose fiery temper matches her own. But what sort of dangers would they run if they defied Argyll and the English king?

This is great historical fiction -- it really captures the feeling of a different age and incorporates all the interesting historical details without feeling clunky. All the characters are fabulous; Alexander is the powerful and fiery Scot, whose domineering ways could have been irritating if Elspeth hadn't been perfectly able to stand up for herself. Her passion and intelligence matches his, so it's wonderful to see the two of them fight their way to love. :)

5 comments:

ReneeW said...

What a coincident. I was recently thinking about rereading JCS's books and was trying to track them down. I remember loving her old books years ago but I couldn't remember the plots so I'm so glad you reviewed this one. I especially remember the beautiful cover on this book. My library no longer has copies so I put it on my PBS wishlist.

sandy l said...

Her other two books are equally good: My Lord Monleigh, and My Love, My Enemy. I think those are the titles.

nath said...

wow, I'm amazed that you could find the book... it looks sooo old :P Glad you enjoyed it though :D

Jennie said...

Renee--I hope you're able to locate a copy--I was lucky and found mine at a used book store. I like the cover of this one too--except that her Elizabethan (?) collar is a little much!

Sandy--I have My Lord Monleigh in the TBR, so I'll definitely be reading that one soon.

Nath--It is pretty old, though my edition is from 1978 or something and not the '50s. I love old paperbacks, even though they're usually falling apart!

Anonymous said...

You can find Bride of the MacHugh , My Lord Monleigh, and other Jan Cox Speas paperbacks on Thriftbooks.com at reasonable prices. I fell in love with Bride of the MacHugh and it still one of my favorite historical fiction. Enjoy!