Thursday, December 28, 2006

Title: My Lady Notorious
Author: Jo Beverley
Published: 1993, Signet
Category: Historical Romance
Rating: 7.5/10

This is my entry into Angie's TBR challenge for December. We had to read a book pub'd prior to 2006, which wasn't too hard for me since I seem to be discovering lots of old classics recently. I've never read Jo Beverley before and have wanted to for a while. She's a big name in the genre. This is the first book in her Malloren series set in the Georgian period.

I really liked this book, but I read it two weeks ago and I don't think I can come up with a plot summary. A lot happens. I'll hit the high points: the heroine, Chastity, dresses up as a highwayman and captures the coach of Lord Cyn Malloren. Cyn wants some adventure so he goes along with her as she pretends to be a man in order to trick her father and deliver her sister to her affianced. They must figure out all the political intrigue surrounding her father and try to fix her ruined reputation.

Good writing and way more historical detail than you usually find. Not that I can tell you if it was all actually accurate, but it had a genuine feel to it, as if the author had really done her research. Very much a classic romance, but quite well done. The masquerade scene was awesome.

Yay another new author I really like! And she has tons of books out there. I think I'll get the next Malloren book, but according to her website she also has a medieval series that I want to try.

4 comments:

CindyS said...

I'm glad that you liked it. I wanted to bash Cyn over the head with a 'serious' stick because he was too much a clown for my liking. I'm trying to think of the one that would be my favourite but I can't remember the name. It's the story of the Malloren sister. That one I liked.

CindyS

Anonymous said...

My Lady Notorious is my favorite Beverley book. Part is the historical detail and part is Cyn. Plus, it is an historical in which the "Chick in Pants" plot mechanism actually works!

Amarjaa said...

This looks pretty awesome, I must say. I'm a big fan of Georgian period books, as well. :)

Also, though, if you liked this, you might like Georgette Heyer's The Masqueraders. It has the same basic premise (cross-dressing heroines) and is really quite excellent!

Jennie said...

Cindy--I like a clown sometimes. And he was serious enough when he was defending her! I think the next book in the series is about Cyn's twin, whose name is Elthid or Elpeth or something strange like that. Odd names!

JMC--Yeah, the chicks in pants thing can be annoying, but it does work here. Maybe because Cyn is aware from the get-go that she's a woman. And the fact that she has a legitimate reason for the cross-dressing. :)

Amarjaa--I highly recommend this one. I haven't read The Masqueraders. I've read some of her Georgians--The Black Moth and These Old Shades, I think--and I have to say that I like her Regency books better. Eek! But I'm sure I'll get around to all of her romances at some point. ;0