Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Title: North by Northanger
Author: Carrie Bebris
Published: 2006, Forge
Category: Historical Mystery
Rating: 4/10

This is the third in Carrie Bebris's Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery series. They are cozy mysteries--not really very good, but pretty sweet. The series picks up right after Darcy and Elizabeth's marriage. In each book they encounter characters from Austen's other novels who need their help in solving a mystery. I'm sure Jane Austen would be appalled, but oh well.

The plot is very silly so I won't go into it here. The second book in the series, Suspense and Sensibility, had a lot of supernatural elements in it (I can't remember exactly, but I remember something about a magical mirror), which I really didn't like. That's mostly gone for this book, thank goodness. The writing is often trite (like the title), but pretty harmless.

I think the only reason I read these books is to see Elizabeth and Darcy as a married couple. Mr. Darcy's obviously a really great husband. And they live at Pemberley. And they have a little Darcy in this one. Awwww.

This made me want to read Northanger Abbey (the real one) again. I don't think I've read it since college and can't really remember much about what happens in it.

No comments: