Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Kristan Higgins glom


Angie posted a few weeks ago about Kristan Higgins, saying that she was a great writer for Jennifer Crusie fans. Of course, I am a huge Jennifer Crusie fan, so I decided to check Higgins out. So glad I did! I went on a glom and read all 7 of her books. And my library didn't have any of them, so I bought them all for my Kindle! This is quite a compliment to Higgins, as I am quite cheap.

I'm not sure exactly how to classify Higgins' books -- they're contemporary romances, but they also feel a bit womens-fiction-y, in that they focus quite a lot on the heroine's family and personal growth/issues. And they're all very funny. I was immediately sucked into all of them -- I thought all the main characters (with just a couple exceptions) were really great and interesting and likeable. They're all set in New England, most of them in idyllic small towns.

They're the kind of book I start reading and hours later I'm still reading and don't want to stop.

My favorites were Catch of the Day (the heroine is an identical twin!) and All I Ever Wanted. And she has a new one coming out on 10/25 -- will probably have to buy that one too. :)

8 comments:

Rowena said...

Oh wow, it's been a long time since I've seen a post over here and I got all excited.

I love Kristan Higgins and I enjoyed both of the books you mentioned. Did you enjoy the one that came out last year? I forget what it's called...it was the only book that I didn't care for by her but still, she's wonderful. =)

Welcome back to blogging!

Jennie said...

Hi Rowena! Yes, I haven't blogged in forever. I'm gonna try to blog again, but then every time I've thought that lately I get a couple of posts up and then abandon it again. So sad. We'll see. :)

Not sure which one you're talking about -- My One and Only is her most recent (about the divorce attorney). That one was pretty good. The only two I wasn't crazy about were The Next Best Thing (because it was sort of sad and I thought marrying your dead husband's brother is kinda weird) and Fools Rush In (because the doctor heroine was a bit pathetic and childish -- and again marrying your sister's ex-husband is also weird!)

Rowena said...

I'm glad to see you're back so it's all good. I enjoy your reviews so I'm hopeful for more.

I'm talking about My One and Only. The one where they road trip (the exes) it after the heroine's sisters wedding. Oh gosh, the heroine got on my nerves in that one and the hero came off to me as kind of pushover-ish. I know exactly what you mean about Fools Rush In because I was very itchy about the heroine marrying her sister's ex-husband and nephew's Dad. I wasn't a fan of that storyline at all though I did love Sam (but still).

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennie, glad to have you back again! Have you read The Penderwicks at Point Mouette yet? I remember that you're a big Penderwicks fan and was thinking of you when I read it:)

Jennie said...

Nooo! I didn't know there was another Penderwicks book out!!!! See, this is what I get for abandoning the blogosphere.

Thanks for the tip!! I will get it asap. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you like it! :) Alas, the fourth one won't be out for another three years...

nath said...

Hey Jennie! Glad you're enjoying Ms Higgins books! I really enjoy her books... although when you read too many of them one after another, the stories and heroines start to blend ^_^; Still, they're fun :)

My favorites are Fools Rush In and One of the Guys :)

Angiegirl said...

Ooh. A Kristan Higgins glom! I did the exact same thing. And your two favorites are mine as well! Such fun, cozy reads.