Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Secret Society Girl, Diana Peterfreund

Author: Diana Peterfreund
Published: 2007, Bantam
Category: Young Adult Fiction
Rating: 7/10

I picked this one up from the library mostly because Li loves the series and I was looking for something light (not like what most of what I read isn't "light", but you know what I mean). There are currently four books out in the series.

Amy Haskel is a junior at ultra-preppy, ivy league Eli University. It's a big deal at this school to be chosen for one of the many secret societies, and junior year is when it happens. Amy is waiting to be tapped by the literary society, when she instead gets an invitation from Rose & Grave, the oldest and most notorious society on campus. She thinks at first it's a hoax, seeing as how Rose & Grave picks the most elite (and generally richest) students. And they've never before tapped women. We see Amy's crazy initiation, meet the very interesting and zany people also tapped that year, and watch the backlash as the society's alumni question the group's decision to admit women.

I did enjoy this book. It's sort of fun to live vicariously through Amy as she attends this swanky, elite university and hobnobs with the rich and beautiful people. It's saved from being Gossip-Girl-vapid by the fact that Amy is very down-to-earth and sensible, and surprisingly resistant to the snobbery. I've requested the second book from the library. :)

6 comments:

Li said...

Oh, I'm glad you liked it. The third book "Rites of Spring (Break)" is my absolute favourite.

It's not deep (and doesn't pretend to be) but it's addictive reading.

Also, the whole Ivy League thing is totally new to me, so I found that angle fascinating. While my university was campus-based, it wasn't a collegiate one, and I have wondered how different it would have been.

Jennie said...

Li -- I'm definitely interested in reading more. I'm hoping her love interest storyline goes the way I'm want. :)

I don't think my university had secret societies, though maybe they do and I just wasn't selected. Sororities and fraternities were huge though, and serve much the same purpose it seems to me.

Emily said...

Ah I can't get enough of these prep school books! Thanks (:

nath said...

Need to pick it up, need to pick it up :)

Thanks for reviewing it, Jennie :)

Jennie said...

Hi Emily -- They are very addictive, aren't they?!

Nath -- I think you'd like these! :)

Rowena said...

I have this book in my TBR pile and I picked it up but then I lost my book around the house so I never finished it. I have since found my book so I must finish it soon.

Great review.