I read fiction, very occasionally I may post about non-fiction, but don't hold your breath. The genres I generally stick to are historical fiction, romance, women's fiction, mystery, fantasy, and young adult.
I like books that make me happy. The currently prevailing notion that "good" literature must be bleak and realistic and depressing drives me completely nuts. I read the newspaper. That's all the depressing I can take. Reading is my favorite hobby and I want to enjoy it. I don't want to finish a book and say, "yes, well, life's a bitch and this captures that so well." So screw the critics, I'll read what I like.
- Happy ending. Doesn't necessarily have to be girl+boy=living happily ever after, but it must a least have a satisfying conclusion.
- Generally I require a least some romance. Just a little will do. Doesn't have to be the whole point of the book.
- Likable characters. Smart characters.
- Originality. I hate cliched writing. I hate carbon-copy characters. Give me something fresh.
- Easy on the sap. Yes, I read romance. I love romance. That doesn't mean I want beds of roses and soul mates and cheesey lines. Blech.
- Easy on the gore. I don't like blood and guts.
- Easy on the scary. I'm a complete wuss about horror. Really just don't want to go there.